Real estate agents say – “list to last” because when you list a home for sale you have the opportunity to earn money when that home is sold by you or a fellow real estate agent.
As a business professional, the care, nurturing and development of “your list” determines how long you last as a professional or expert in your field. Grow and develop that great list and your great connections on that list will be your avid brand advocates, supporters, mentors, referral sources, trusted vendors, great clients and friends. Your email marketing list is the lifeblood of your business. Don’t be fooled by those who say that email is dead or last year’s marketing tool – it is the foundation of all your social content and is a viable tool, still.
What do you do to develop and care for your list? How do you stay in contact? How up-to-date is the information on your list? Have you opened your list and found 20 different versions of the same person with email addresses from each past employer or different phone numbers? How, or have you, stayed in relationship with that person?
When a relationship (this goes for business and personal ones) ceases to be mutually beneficial to both people involved, somebody leaves. Are you ready to “fall out” of relationship with someone just because you got too busy, forgot to stay in touch or just didn’t have good contact information to stay in touch?
What have you done to take care of the people on your list? Remember, each name on your list represents a person and a relationship. [tweet this]
As a small business owner your list is vital.
If you’re a restaurant, you need your list of patrons to make sure you have meaningful and timely conversation with them. Without knowing how to contact your current customers, how will you know:
- Who’s having a birthday?
- Who would appreciate a coupon for Grandparent’s Day, Mother’s Day or even for Veteran’s Day?
- Which customers have a favorite dish and provide them a special invite when you’re serving or showcasing that dish?
- How will you provide them an exclusive sneak peek of new dishes, desserts or even wines?
- How will they be able to enjoy the benefits of being in your exclusive “in the know first” list?
If you’re a Realtor, how will you know:
- Important milestones in your current customers or even vendors’ lives?
- How will you let people know of upcoming open houses?
- How will you know what other family members they have who might be in the market for a new home or who might be selling their home?
- How will you update your current clients on the updates in the market?
- Or, how will you update a local business on the challenges and how you can help in recruiting and moving new employees here?
Watch our video, How to Build a Responsive Email List for advice on adding new emails to your list, and growing an engaged audience for your business or organization.